1983-1987 Toyota Sprinter Trueno/Corolla Levin [AE86/AE85]

Discussion in 'WIP Critique: Video Game & Real-Time' started by Bakasan, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Bakasan

Bakasan Active Member

Professional Procrastinaor
    Toyota AE86/AE85 (Corolla Levin & Sprinter Trueno)

Sprinter Trueno Red.png
    Sprinter Trueno White.png unityae861.png
    Konnichiwa. second post, this time i present before you you a legendary car, a special car, an 80s Toyota, specifically, the Hachiroku. If i could, i could marry a car, it would have to be a hachi. Light weight, responsive engine and enjoyable handling make for the perfect combination. I made this model which as you can see is still not complete. I plan to use the model for video games e.g RFactor and more. i will continue to update as i complete the hachi. This model is a zenki Trueno 3dr, but i would also like to make a kouki, and a 2dr. I started on a Levin front, but i will have to update it as i made large amounts of corrections to the Trueno since *_^. anyway, enjoy the hachi and comment on any improvements or opinions on the model. ja mata ne [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
    chad3006 likes this.
  2. Bakasan

Bakasan Active Member

all of the body is complete, now to tweak and do the interior and engine (and many more little annoying jobs...). I got some shots of my Hachi in the formula mesh i just made too, and i also included the Levin :D :D peace out.

Attached Files:

3. Bakasan

Bakasan Active Member

Time for a Hachi update. I have been away for a bit due to bad internet, but here is what i got done over that time. Chassis, engine and interior now exist, although not entirely complete. Now rides on 14 inch formula mesh or Watanabes. The Levin is also doing nicely with fixed front wings :D:D. here are some pictures, so please enjoy :p.

Attached Files:

4. Bakasan

Bakasan Active Member

Toyota AE86/AE85 (Corolla Levin & Sprinter Trueno) AGAIN! :)

It's Hachiroku time. Again. Seeing as i am stuck for words, let's start with some images ^_^. Here is the most complete version of my hachi, the zenki Trueno GT-Apex:
    1.png 2.png 3.png
    4.png 5.png 6.png 7.png 8.png 9.png 10.png 11.png 12.png 13.png 14.png 15.png 16.png 17.png
    The Corolla Levin version (still needs some improvements):
    18.png 19.png 20.png
    I also started working on the 2 door coupe version:
    21.png 22.png
    and that's my progress so far. I have yet to start the kouki facelift version, as well as numerous modified/race variants such as Group A, N2, Touge, Drift and so on. Please feel free to reply with any suggestions or comments you may have reguarding my model. Bakasan out. :goofus:

Mr_Wiggles likes this.
  5. Bakasan

Bakasan Active Member

Toyota AE86/AE85 (Corolla Levin & Sprinter Trueno) Update 5 ^_^

Firstly, I fixed the side of the car, it was too flat so i added more polys to shape it out better. this also fixed/masked some reflection bugs, particularly near the fuel door, so i was happy with this.
    sides.png
    I've also fixed a few other things I thought were inadequate, such as [trying to] remove bumps from the front wings. I also added in an extra polyrow along the boot/doors/body (marked in red) because it looks better and blends well with the front wings.
    fixing.png
    I also had a go at some texturing aswell. I added the Sprinter, Trueno and Apex stickers to the car, and i mapped the lights. That's about all of my progress so far, so here are some images for you to view.
    1.png 2.png 3.png 4.png 5.png 6.png
    The Polygon Structure 7.png 8.png 9.png 10.png
    I also started this lower poly Hachiroku a while back. It's nearly finished, and i intend to use it for older video games (San Andreas, NFS4, Vice City and so on)
    lvn1.png lvn2.png lvn3.png lvn4.png
    And one last thing, I noticed on the driver's door of Japanese model AE85/AE86 that there is a small sticker with some writing on it
    sticker.png
    it appears to be some sort of safety sticker, but i am not sure. Anyway, i was hoping that someone could tell me what it is or even better has a photo of this sticker, because i would like to include it, and i would be thankful if someone could help me:).

Kangal likes this.
  6. Mr_Wiggles

Mr_Wiggles New Member

Mate, they looks fantastic!

I've been looking around for a set of Levin/Tureno/2door/3door models for a long time. Yours look heaps better than my modeling efforts so far!
    I've got a Zenki levin at home, let me know if you need any reference shots.

The sticker on the drivers door is a warning label/starting manual sticker common to lots of Japanese cars of that era. I couldn't find a shot of the exact sticker from an AE86, but this:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-JAPA...-CRESSIDA-AE86-CAMRY-STARLET-FJ-/221223789769
    is pretty close to what they look like.

Bakasan likes this.
  7. Bakasan

Bakasan Active Member

@MrWiggles: Thanks for the door sticker, I tried to search for it but found nothing. As for reference pictures, I should be fine by this stage (if yours has oem seats, the tolt control thingy on the side would be helpful), but if you want to upload some, I'm sure they would be useful (I could probabally model your car aswell if you wanted it). Im also very happy you like my model. I will probabally release both models for download when finished, so i will send you a PM when that happens

After some time, it's time for another update. Firstly, here are some pictures to show my progress.
    1983 Toyota Trueno 0.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 1.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 2.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 3.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 4.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 5.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 6.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 7.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 8.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 9.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 10.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 11.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 12.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 13.png
    At least for the zenki Trueno, the modelling part is "nearly" finished, so hopefully, the hachi should be ready for texture soon. The zenki Levin shouldn't take too long either. The 2 door is a little behind, because i have made some chandes to the 3 door since I started the 2 door. Some Kouki versoins should follow aswell.

The lowpoly Levin is nearly done, I just have to replace some of the textures (I used GTA IV textures as placeholders) and fix some geometry.
    AE86 Levin 3dr 1.png
    That's about all i have to show for now. If you have any comments or suggestions for my hachi, feel free to let me know. Ja Mata Ne!

Kangal and Mr_Wiggles like this.
  8. Mr_Wiggles

Mr_Wiggles New Member

Looking good man, i'll see if i can dig up some pics for you.

Bakasan likes this.
  9. Mr_Wiggles

Mr_Wiggles New Member

Grrr, the forum won't let me post a reply with links! I'll try sending you a PM.

10. Mr_Wiggles

Mr_Wiggles New Member

Lol, looks like i can't send links via PM either, i think i need one more like or something.

11. Bakasan

Bakasan Active Member

Just a little update. I decided to make some light textures today using Paint and Paint.NET. I'm fairly pleased with the results, and i would love to hear your opinions (I might consider a tutorial on drawing lights if anyone is interested).
    1983 Toyota Trueno 1.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 2.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 6.png
    So far, it's only the taillights, bumper parking lights/indicators and corner indicators. Headlights will come soon.

Also, Mr Wiggles has pointed out a few little things. Firstly was the roof shape. Aparantly, the highest point is above the driver's door, and slopes down from either side. I tweaked it a little, and here is what it looks like
    1983 Toyota Trueno 3.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 4.png
    Also, he said the back seats curved around too much, which was very true as i hated modelling the back seats as they would not work properly. This is about as wide as i can get the seat (otherwise it cuts ingo the wheel wells), so hopefully it's right.
    1983 Toyota Trueno 5.png
    As for the seat control, i'm still working on it (sort of:rolleyes:) That's about all for now, so here are a few images of my lowpoly Levin that were meant to be included last post, but i used too many images:D. Come to think of it, making an entirely new model is probabally pointless as i could easily have taken polys of my high poly model (and it would have been more accurate too). Oh well, it's good practice i suppose.
    AE86 Levin 3dr 2.png AE86 Levin 3dr 3.png AE86 Levin 3dr 4.png
    As always, comments, critisism and suggestions would be much appreciated. Peace Out:D:D

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
    Kangal likes this.
  12. shadow explorer

shadow explorer Member

model looks great so far,only the interior texture seems to be muddy.

13. Bakasan

Bakasan Active Member

The interior has no texture yet, so the material is a solid colour, which is what makes it look muddy :)

@MM@D likes this.
  14. Bakasan

Bakasan Active Member

Okay, I think i'm done with the exterior modelling, sort of. I've mainly added edgeloops, or whatever they're called to the larger details (mainly the creases along the side and the arches), while smaller details will just use unsmoothed edges, to save triangles, and because I am too lazy to do any more edgeloops! All that's left to do really is finish modelling the interior and some minor adjustments to the engine and the underside/chassis, then some uv mapping (how fun..) ant the 3dr Zenki Trueno GT-Apex will be finished, and i will probabally dance. Here are some pictures of my progress:
    1983 Toyota Trueno 1.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 2.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 3.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 4.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 5.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 6.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 7.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 8.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 9.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 10.png
    The interior and engine should look better when i map and texture them, otherwise everything is how it should look (the shading in shetchup is not that great either, it should be much better in game engines and renders)
    1983 Toyota Trueno 11.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 12.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 13.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 14.png
    Some "clay" and wires.. If you're wondering why I use green "clay", I find it shows the shading and imperfections best. Wires will probabally be unchanged, apart from a small section under the number plate which needs fixing.
    1983 Toyota Trueno 15.png
    A quick litthe drift shot :p Once I finish the model, I should be able to some blender rendering, which I look foward to alot! :D That's about all for now, comments, criticism and questions are must welcome, so as usual, Ja Mata Ne :D:D

Kangal likes this.
  15. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    Yeah, this Trueno is super. Finally i can see a very nice Trueno since the ones currently available for games are so far from yours as quality. I mean, this is good as Hell!
    I'm in love with this car since i've seen that Japanese movie with some races on the hills, great movie indeed (i don't remember the title thou).
    Keep on this line, u're doing great !

16. Bakasan

Bakasan Active Member

Thanks Kangal, I'm glad you like the Hackiroku too! I have the same view on the commercial AE86 models avaliable. Either they have mixed and matched parts from all types of models (Juiced 2), or they are inacurate *cough cough* Forza *cough cough*. Perhaps it's because most AE86's are modified and finding reference for a standard one can be hard. Independent models tend to be better though (Endo and 41aeimi both made good ones, as well as Gonzo Kool's N2 AE86 from rfactor)

Also, I think the show you are reffering to is Initial D. The main character, Fujiwara Takumi drives a zenki Sprinter Trueno GT-Apex and beats everyone, because he is a driving God, and the AE86 is the best car in the world, at least on the touge. It's definately worth watching if you like cars, anime, or just want something different. Initial D is one of the reasons the AE86 is so well known nowdays, particularly among younger generations.

17. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    Yes, it's just Initial D, really a great movie, i loved it. It's not realistic but it doesn't want to be such either. Great images, cool trama and wonderful action scenes. It definetly worth to be seen :)

18. Bakasan

Bakasan Active Member

Another update ;)
    1983 Toyota Trueno 1.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 2.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 3.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 4.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 5.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 6.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 7.png
    It's mostly work on the interior, and trying to remove reflection errors, to some extent.
    1983 Toyota Trueno 8.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 9.png
    AE86 2 door round 2! This time, with more success ^_^
    1983 Toyota Trueno 10.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 11.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 12.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 13.png
    Here are some wireframes, as I think the geometry is somewhat different from the last photo I posted
    1983 Toyota Trueno 14.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 15.png
    I also had a go at rendering while I was bored of modelling, and here are the results. It's rendered in Blender in a simple box environment (I got the ground texture from this site, Exidge made it, and the wall texture is in Sketchup) I'm quite happy with the results, apart from the fact that I cannot get transparent (alpha) textures to work, which is why I had to remove the badging from the car.

I haven't forgotten about the Levin, but I think I will finish it once the Trueno is done. I think that the Trueno will be done fairly soon now, I just have to do some small details, make textures and map it and that's it, hopefully. As always, I appreciate your comments, suggestions and opinions :D

Lackes likes this.
  19. Bakasan

Bakasan Active Member

Just a little update. Mostly tweaking to try and reduce shading errors, but i did also do headlight textures and start the engine texture :)
    1983 Toyota Trueno.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 2.png 1.png 2.png

@MM@D likes this.
  20. Bakasan

Bakasan Active Member

Just some chassis work ;);)
    1983 Toyota Trueno 1.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 2.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 3.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 4.png 1983 Toyota Trueno 5.png