The P-38 incorporated many firsts into its design, these included the following:
1. The first fighter to use a tricycle landing gear.
2. The only American fighter in operational production status from the start to the finish of the war.
3. First to encounter compressibility problems.
4. First to demonstrate capability of a fighter flying across the North Atlantic for delivery to Europe.
5. Only aircraft to be equipped with irreversible power-boosted flight controls.
6. First fighter to fly anywhere with two torpedoes.
7. First fighter to demonstrate a non-stop, un-refueled range of over 3,000 miles.
8. First fighter to carry a 4,000 lb. bomb load in wartime conditions.
9. Only massed produced, single seat, twin engine fighter in World War II.