BMW 325i

Status
Not open for further replies.

nosalis

I've decided to play it safe.

BMW are one of the best handling cars, which should be great for the endurance race part. Also it comes with good powerful engines

the car I picked is 01/1993 E36 325i for 2,450 (negotiable .. so did I negotiated it to 2,300?? :D )

that leaves me with quite a decent budget for customizations

Attachments

Nice to see you here, I really love your low poly work, really curious how you will do with high poly :)
I have modeled and remodeled that car about 4 times, so I will help with what ever I can ;)
Good luck ;)

Man, you gotta finish your TownCar :D

E36 coupe, awesome choice btw. Great to see another member joining the contest, cant wait to see the first updates. :)

nosalis

thanks all for the great comments and feedback .. :)

Lincoln will be put on hold until the challenge is over .. I usually have like 1-2 hrs a day to do my stuff.. so that's not a lot :) (though I might catch up more over the weekend)

regarding the minipolies .. the idea was to create a super low poly car in a very short amount of time, the first generation was around 700 triangles and "single-sided" 512x512 texture, it took me about 4 hrs to do a 1 car.
then I've decieded to raise the polygon limit, do a bigger texture with both sides of the car so I craeted second generation which was around 1700 triangles, with alpha, spec, bump and diffuse all in 1024x512
and now I'm trying third generation, where it has even more triangles, around 2500, and the texure is 2048x1024 (right now only the GT-R is 3rd gen minipoly )

this challenge sounded very cool, so I was thinking to do a lowpoly .. but I though It might be too easy since I have so much experience, so I've decided to do it as highpoly instead :) and will see how it goes

nosalis

initial blocking

here we go ...

started with blocking the shapes .. so far it will look like low poly, but unlike lowpoly I'm already thinking about the flow of the mesh and topology, it should all be quads.

hopefully it looks like a good start.. spend maybe 3 hrs or so

the flow is still not perfect everywhere but I don't think it makes sense going into details now .. the way I usually do this (heh.. my second serious subD car ) that I build up blocking low poly mesh and once I start separating the car panels, that's where I start to do all the detailing and make it work as subD

edit: the rear part is more wip then front .. but I wanted to finish something before I go to sleep

Attachments

Nice to see some progress already.

At the end of the contest we should also make a group photo of all the bimmers made in this contest. :D

nosalis

so for the budget part

I'm going in USD since I now live in US

budget was $7200, car cost me $3500, M3 body kit for $704

that leaves me with still nice lump of money of $3000, but since we're going racing, I'm planning lots of racing modifications, so I think I will run out of money very fast

http://www.bodykits.com/VFiber/Body-Kits/BMW-3-Series-VFiber-M_Type-Body-Kit-_-FKE36M3/622593/

regarding the group photo .. yeah .. that's a cool idea :) .. we could all be provided with same BG, same camera ... and then send renders with aplha to someone for final comp and tweaking :)

nosalis

tire wip

holy moly .. making the tire took me 2-3 hours .. :( .. not sure if I was doing it correctly..

It's done for subD (so all quads) and it's not cheated ... well the sidewall is cheated but the tread isn't :)

how do you guys do tires?? .. do you just use displacement and let the rendered figure out .. or do you make a cylinder, on top of which you place small quads representing the tread?

or maybe I guess you just did some tires before and just reuse them :) anyhow.. hope you enjoy it .. it's still not perfect and will be adjusting it later once the rim is in place

Attachments

What I do is model a section of the tire then copy it gazillion times attach all the sections, weld the parts and apply a bend modifier. Here is a simple tut, not mine but just to get the idea:
http://tutorial-z.com/3ds-max-tire-modeling-tutorial/
You did a good job but can you show a highlited view without the wireframe, also look at that ref just to improve the curvature of the sidewall: http://media.photobucket.com/image/advan neova ad07/els_015/9d8073a4.jpg
Displacement is too heavy and slows the render down, so modelling is better

dave_3d

Super Moderator
What I do is model a section of the tire then copy it gazillion times attach all the sections, weld the parts and apply a bend modifier. Here is a simple tut, not mine but just to get the idea:
http://tutorial-z.com/3ds-max-tire-modeling-tutorial/
Pretty much follows exactly what I created in this tutorial for my website a few years ago now :

http://www.dmmultimedia.com/3dtips_09.htm Tutorial : How to Model & Texture a tyre.

It does not use Turbosmooth or any other iterative smoothing, just smoothing groups. You simply don't need it.

I wouldn't get hung-up about the side wall textures. Unless the tyre itself is your render, even at very large renders a simple bump map is more than good enough.

There are some easy tips to quickly create a suitable bump map ..... I'll need to make a tutorial covering that ....

Dave

nosalis

Thanks :) .. yeah.. that's pretty much what I did, model a small section, copied it over gazilion times and then bend it.

Sidewall is not finished ... I was already late (around 1:30) and I had to go to sleep .. but I wanted to finish at least the tread part.

I gues if I was making the tire the way I did it on Lincoln, it would have been way faster .. but it won't work with turbosmooth too well

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xs-g5lE9s8Q/TNBPq3yfR7I/AAAAAAAABQc/fkORZMVV2fE/lincoln03h.jpg

btw. thanks for the links on tutorials... your method would save me quite a bit of polies I guess :) .. it's not how the subD stuff should be done .. but I guess you're right that it will work well for most of the shots anyway .. thanks for that! great tip

nosalis

here is the kind of finished tire .. with no subD it has got 15k poly.. which I think is still not that bad .. so you can render it with no smooth for far shots

btw. this is the wheel (not the rim though) that I'm doing and the sidewall doesn't have any additional stuff like on the pictures you posted... so I think that I'm about right with my model. Might adjust it later though once I put in the rim.

I don't think I will do too much work tonight though .. have to rest a bit
edit: so I've uploaded also latest changes on the car .. not too much update, but fixed some topology stuff and refined the rear part so it will be easier once I start with adding details

but I'm happy that the tire will work without smoothing as well :) .... though it looks bit more flat that way, doesn't have nice highlights that comes from subD :)

but as you guys said ... for most cases it will be more that ok with subD set to 0

Attachments

dave_3d

Super Moderator
here is the kind of finished tire .. with no subD it has got 15k poly.. which I think is still not that bad .. so you can render it with no smooth for far shots

but I'm happy that the tire will work without smoothing as well :) .... though it looks bit more flat that way, doesn't have nice highlights that comes from subD :)

but as you guys said ... for most cases it will be more that ok with subD set to 0
Your tyre doesn't have sub division, but it could have smoothing groups. In what way does it look "flat" (if you mean the sidewall, add another loop or two and make it more curved) ?

It is easy to add more loops manually to add more definition, or select areas and define them on another smoothing group and adjust smoothing angle. You still have a lot of control over smoothing and rounded edges. Just a different way instead of pushing a turbo smooth button.

There is no "correct" way to do this. The end result is all that matters.

The tyres look good to me so far.

Dave

nosalis

dave: I'm not sure I understand. My tyre is modeled as a sub-division surface .. so it works well with meshsmooth and such. It has only 1 smoothing group (all edges are soft), and that's from my knowledge how subD surfaces should be made.

as you pointed out, i could have use smoothing groups instead and do it as a poly surface as it would have been fine for most of tha cases.

and what I meant "will work without smoothing" is that I was afraid that it doensn't have enough polygon so I need to use meshsmooth on it.. but I was comparing it with no subdivision and it was still fine.

I never tried controling the surfaces with smoothing groups and the angle you are talking about, it's something I might look into ..although as I said .. the way I've learned to do it is 1 smoothing group (it makes it easier when you are moving the asset between packages) so I guess I will stick to it.

dave_3d

Super Moderator
Bottom line, is if you are happy then it's good. It's what result suits you best.

I was just saying that you can get a very good result without sub-division smoothing. as you noticed.

Dave

nosalis

yeah Dave.. I totally agree with you ... and I'm sure it would have saved me lot of time and also quite a few polygons :)

will see how the rest of the car goes .. tonight I should be able to work on it quite a bit more :) can't wait. It's so hard to work on your stuff after work.

Status
Not open for further replies.