Car Simulation / Racing Games

Im wondering how many gamers we have on the forum and what games are you playing?

I have an iRacing subscription, and also play Grid2 and Assetto Corsa, irregularly.

I also have a sim-rig setup for car sims. Here is an old photo of it, while I was building it, not quite complete-

sh00ks

I played my fair share on the PS and XBOX with Gran Turismo and Forza.
Never had the space to build a rig like yours tho, wich I kinda regret.

But since I went racing for real on trackdays, I spent less time on the consoles...

Maybe, when I have more time and space, I will get into AC/iR ;-)

Btw: GRID Motorsport looks like a good game to me too!

I've raced on the track (for real) too in both cars and on motorbikes. But the rig is good, cheap, easy and fun. It's definitely not as good as the real thing, but now I'm getting older, I like the safety aspect too haha.

I've played Forza too on xbox. All the gaming I do now is on PC, using the same PC I use for modelling.

Minde

The only game of racing I'm interested in right now is F1 2013, its a game which even on medium difficulty requires some skills, its a challenge and I like it. Also have previous Grid games, didn't play the second one a lot. Also I recommend getting Autosport since it seems that it will include more types of cars, like open wheel, but would not recommend to get it now, I would wait a month or a two just for it to drop a price. I never really buy games on day one anymore (after some Call of Duty experience). As for the setup I don't have anything like you do :D just a simple x360 controller is fine for my needs.

I still play the nfs Underground games from time to time, (mostly the first one), the grapics might not be up to date, but they have pretty realistic physics and some good looking bodykits. That is the normal racing physics, the the drifting part is pure crap though.

Minde

I still play the nfs Underground games from time to time, (mostly the first one), the grapics might not be up to date, but they have pretty realistic physics and some good looking bodykits. That is the normal racing physics, the the drifting part is pure crap though.
Underground, realistic physics? Its pure arcade game, there is nothing real in it, but of course its fun.

Underground, realistic physics? Its pure arcade game, there is nothing real in it, but of course its fun.
I know, I mean compared to the other following games like Most wanted, Carbon(which I think they ruined with a shitty new tire model). It probably has better physics than even the new most wanted, hot pursuit and The Run and of course the older nfs games, High stakes, hot puisit2 and etc...
Of course its not realistic compared to simulators like Gran Turismo and Forza, but I never said that.
In underground you can actually get the car sideways by using real world techniques(at least in first gear), and then do some nice counter-steering drifting and donuts. It seems though that the tire model only beahvaves in a realistic manner at low speeds. Even in second gear it starts to behave very arcade-ish like you said. I actually think that they started out with a pretty realistic tire model and then toned it down to make it easier to play.

Last edited:

Minde

I know, I mean compared to the other following games like Most wanted, Carbon(which I think they ruined with a shitty new tire model). It probably has better physics than even the new most wanted, hot pursuit and The Run and of course the older nfs games, High stakes, hot puisit2 and etc...
Of course its not realistic compared to simulators like Gran Turismo and Forza, but I never said that.
In underground you can actually get the car sideways by using real world techniques(at least in first gear), and then do some nice counter-steering drifting and donuts. It seems though that the tire model only beahvaves in a realistic manner at low speeds. Even in second gear it starts to behave very arcade-ish like you said. I actually think that they started out with a pretty realistic tire model and then toned it down to make it easier to play.
I agree with most of what you said, just I think that old most wanted is good too, I'd definitely put to the list of best NFS games. And I strongly agree with what you said about making it easy to play, it happens not only to racing but in all games, they make games in such a way that everyone could play, most of the games that now are being released are in fact even on hardest difficulty easy to beat, I don't play a lot of single player, but recently tried BF4 campaign (its been more than a half year and only played multiplayer) and it was so easy even on hardest difficulty.

Yes, Exactly, Underground is not as realistic as simulators, but closer to real world physics than other arcade games.
In NFS:Carbon(which is esentially the same tire model as old Most wanted) if you park your car horisontally, across the road on a fairly steep slope and slowly apply some gas, the car will start sliding sideways down the slope! as if it was parked on ice! It also doesn't allow for drifting(with counter-steering) in free roam like the underground tire model.

Last edited:
I think that the first Underground ist a great game not only cause of its physics. Of cause the tuning part was great! But also the balancing/difficulty was great in my eyes. I've completed it about 10 times.
I myself have bought a PS2 an half year ago, so i'm currently playing the games, that i've missed. Beside Metal Gear and Silent Hill i'm playing a lot Gran Turismo 3 and 4. Of cause are the graphics a bit outdated but they are still stunning games.