Card Modeling...

Discussion in 'Offtopic Discussion' started by Stev0, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Stev0

Stev0 New Member

Hi everyone. I registered here for a certain reason and the reason was to find orthos for a late model Dodge Intrepid. Well since I had to register to view the orthos I ended up without anything better than what I could normally find... which really was'nt much to begin with. Oh well...

Anyhow. What I do ask is... Has anyone here heard of paper/card modeling? Digital modeling can go hand in hand with card modeling. Has ANYONE who has created anything digitally been able to hold their creation physically in their hands? (other than burning files to disc :p).

If you say no. Well take a look at this, all printed on 40-60lb cardstock, cut out and glued together with paper glue...

[​IMG]
    paperinside.com » Mad Max Interceptor <= Created in Milkshape and exported to Pepakura.

[​IMG]
    paperinside.com » The Tumbler <= Created in Milkshape and exported to Pepakura.

[​IMG]
    ASTON MARTIN DBR-9 1:18 Paper Model <= 3Dmodel exported to Paper Software much like the above.

Pepakura Designer <= 3D to 2D to paper software.

What I am saying is. There are Gigabytes of free paper models to download on the net and build but only a very small selection of fine crafted freebees like the above. Low poly models with high res textures are great for this kind of hobby and no doubt there are many of you out there who would love place a copy of their digital 3D work on their desk.

I don't mean to be rude in posting these links but if anyone has questions regarding paper/card modeling, you can read or chat about it here... Card Models . It's a great community devoted to various types of card modeling and design.

Does anyone find this interesting at all? It's one thing to have people interested in building models but hard to find talented modelers willing to create great works. Like teaching someone who can draw/animate how to create in 3D verses teaching someone who can create in 3D how to draw/animate.

2. marty-bett

marty-bett Member

woah thats sick as..

3. Masakari987

Masakari987 New Member

lol Origami to the extreme! :grin:
    That looks sweet. I'd love to try that sometime. It looks like it would be fun to do.

4. Silent][Moebius

Silent][Moebius New Member

not really :p in origami you aren't allowed to damage the paper or glue it ;)

but that DBR9 looks sweeeet :)

5. TomiL

TomiL The Land Cruiser Maniac

I made one, but from normal paper and it just sucked... haha
    Yeah it is a great hobby. I wish I could find a Suzuki SJ410 paper model.. or I could make one myself :p

6. Stev0

Stev0 New Member

Create a low polygon .3ds model w/ textures and I can output a card model of it.

[​IMG]

Keeping with papermodels and vehicles theme...

More freebees...

[​IMG]

Paper Crafts | YAMAHA MOTOR

The bikes are better printed on 60-65lb cardstock. I made the mistake of having it printed on 90lb cardstock and the model was hell to assemble. I had to give up half way because peices were not fitting together right and the tight cylinders were delaminating the card since 90lb is actually 2 layers of what I take 45lb cardstock spun together.

Anyway. There are only a handfull of bike models online and the ones that are available are top notch quality. Someone here HAS to make some Hondas, Kawasakis or even better ... Triumphs, Harleys or Cagivas. 8o