Datsun 240Z

TwoOneOne

Administrator
Inspired by Nashwans TopGear Challenge entry, i decided to pick up the old 240z i had sitting on my HDD for ages. anyways, I didn´t like the old model i started back then, so i decided to start from scratch.
here´s my progress so far. Modeled in Modo, Maya and Catia.

Attachments

yasickkk

that is soo cool. really really inspiring... loving those types of cars.

i have high hopes for this project, ill keep a close watch thats for sure

TwoOneOne

Administrator
Looking great so far, how many hours went into it until this point?
thanks!

i know that i worked about 2 nights on the tire and wheel (so something between 6-8 hours). didn´t keep track of the times for the car though. so i can´t really tell how long it all took.

looking awesome man!! my only crit is that in the last render the door gap is so big the driver could fall off:) i think it has to be a bit smaller.

Wow man that looks just stunning, finally i can see a project from you :) Just one question, is the body nurbs or poly modelled? If poly, cna we see a wire ? :) Keep it up, want to see more of this

Kangal

It's good man, i like it so much. Is it a stock version or a tuned one? Really the 240Z had those wide wheels and arcs? I ask for it because i don't know this car very well, bt i know what i like, and i like it btw :)
Now that i've decided to do not post anything more, i've lot of time to spend and watch the works of the modelers around. And this one is a thread i will follow, besides i'm interested in your way to do a car using 3 different 3D softwares. It's pretty strange. Why this choice?

TwoOneOne

Administrator
Nice progress... on wheel/rims...
thanks.

well that´s what i´m going for. actually more like "super mean" is what i´m exactly going for with this one.

looking awesome man!! my only crit is that in the last render the door gap is so big the driver could fall off:) i think it has to be a bit smaller.
thanks, you´re right for now it looks too big, let´s see how it looks after i do the extrusions and bevels, if it still looks weird i´m gonna fix it.

Wow man that looks just stunning, finally i can see a project from you :) Just one question, is the body nurbs or poly modelled? If poly, cna we see a wire ? :) Keep it up, want to see more of this
haha, nothing special here, your stuff is actually much better, i reckon. anyways, the body is polymodeling, the wheels are nurbs and the final product is going to be a wild mix. Wireframes, sure i´m going to show a couple of wires, but i have to dissapoint you guys because i have one iteration of smooth on it (collapsed, frozen, rien ne va plus) before i started detailing.

It's good man, i like it so much. Is it a stock version or a tuned one? Really the 240Z had those wide wheels and arcs? I ask for it because i don't know this car very well, bt i know what i like, and i like it btw :)
Now that i've decided to do not post anything more, i've lot of time to spend and watch the works of the modelers around. And this one is a thread i will follow, besides i'm interested in your way to do a car using 3 different 3D softwares. It's pretty strange. Why this choice?

this is a heavily tuned version. all the good stuff on this car is not stock.
The fenderflares, not stock, although i think it was some official aftermarket part, coz it´s rather widespread on this car.
the wheels, with the stretched tires and the massive camber angles which give the car this agressive stance, certainly not stock.
everything that was stock, like the bumpers will remain removed.

the reason why i use 3 softwares or maybe even 4 ( i might throw a couple of rhino parts in there as well) is, because i can. but, yeah, i like to use all different kinds of softwares, and mix polygons with nurbs and so on. the basic idea is, use whatever tool or software is the best for the task at hand and gives you the best result in the least amount of time. I have to do it like that at my job, and then it´s just too hard to go back from that and limit oneself to "only" polygons in modo or whatever.

now don´t be silly kangal, go back to work and post some new WIPs. I´m really starting to miss those one week projects from you. and you were getting better every day. ;)

cheers

But you got more power here! :p

Nice and tight work for sure, I got one somewhere on my hdd too. Might continue with it someday, need to check first how accurate it is. Front was pain to do and I'm not sure if I even got it right.