Ferrari 328 GTB WIP

Discussion in 'WIP Critique: 3D Advanced' started by thomas2002gr, Sep 14, 2014.

1. thomas2002gr

thomas2002gr New Member

Rhinoceros 3D

328_2.jpg rim.jpg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  2. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    Not a good idea to start in the advanced section as very first post and undetailed unfinished shell.

sh00ks likes this.
  3. helicase

helicase Well-Known Member

typically don't threads get moved to adv. from wip the first time? Then after that you are good to always go to adv. As a hobbies, i don't ever want to be in advanced even if i get good enough to be in there ever.

4. thomas2002gr

thomas2002gr New Member

I consider my project advanced enough to be in this section. If you are an administrator and believe that my post shouldn't be in this section then remove it. Otherwise remove your post or make any comment on the project.

By the way this is Advanced "W I P" forum. The shell or any part is not supposed to be finished.

I will keep updating my project in this thread and expect to read comments associated with the project.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
    nasi likes this.
  5. Oscar J

Oscar J Well-Known Member

Hey Thomas and welcome to SMCars.

Love these old Ferraris, modelled a 288 GTO myself once. Things are looking very good, although I'm not very experienced in Rhino. Don't the spans look very dense in the front? Or are you able to handle it?

Things used to be like this: all threads started in the WIP section and then some threads got moved to "Advanced" by administrators if they considered them to be good enough.

It's been months since we saw an admin on here though, so basically there are no rules anymore, and if people didn't start there, there wouldn't be any news in the Advanced section at all.

I really don't mind it myself, and I really think you need to let this subject go, Kangal. Because last time you got so obsessed with which project deserved to be in Advanced and which didn't, that you left the site for several months!

Now let's give Thomas the C&C his project deserves.

helicase likes this.
  6. helicase

helicase Well-Known Member

I don't mind if it's in advanced, doesn't bother me ;) I'm glad to see another nurbs modeler *high five*. The tire treads look great btw.

7. thomas2002gr

thomas2002gr New Member

True. It is not my intention to model Class-A surfaces so I don't mind about multiple spans if the surface curvature requires more control points to handle. It seems that in some parts the spans are more than needed so maybe I will optimize a few of them during the process.

8. 0utsider

0utsider Active Member

I just hope that this site will not collapse on it selfs one day with no rules.
    I think that this site is the best if not the one where you can find skilled artists or simply car modeling enthusiasts that show their work and most of them share their knowledge and experience.
    So if the admins have disappeared, who cares? BUT, the people who remains should respect the rules and enforce them, otherwise everyone does what he wants and anarchy reigns.

Anyway. Going back to the topic, i think that cockpit mounts are too thin.
    Also the headlight covers and the airgrill seem "squeezed" respect to the real model.
    Are you using blueprints or just reference images?

9. thomas2002gr

thomas2002gr New Member

front.jpg top2.jpg

For the main reference I am using typically blueprints, but because they are not absolutely accurate as usual, I make adaptions to the shape as needed in respect to reference images

10. 0utsider

0utsider Active Member

I suggest you to try overlapping a viewport view with an image at the same angle and look at the proportions.
    I'll be wrong but there's something that doesn't convince me at all.

i.e. look at this.
    88-Ferrari-328GTB_DV_07-CI_01.jpg

The hood grill has 6 blades. Yours has 8 blades.
    The hood cover is rounded. Yours is rectangular outside and roundend inside.

I can't see other attachments because are broken but i think you have very approximated blueprints.

Hope this helps.

sh00ks likes this.
  11. Oscar J

Your roof is definitely too bulgy compared to that pic.

12. thomas2002gr

thomas2002gr New Member

Let me try to reupload...

front.jpg top2.jpg persp.jpg

Concerning the blades you are absolutely right and I didn't notice! The blueprint has 8 blades so I have to make a change.

As for the hood cover, the rectangular outside is just trimmed surface edges. They don't show up in the shaded model

13. thomas2002gr

thomas2002gr New Member

Yes, roof is a dummy for the time and will be remodeled after the front and rear part is finished (probably next week)

14. thomas2002gr

thomas2002gr New Member

15. Oscar J

Still looking very nice and clean. I'm thinking that the little crease over the rear wheel arch could be slightly better, according to references.

16. thomas2002gr

thomas2002gr New Member

A zebra analysis of the rear wheel arch curvature

zebra.jpg 85-86-87-88-89-FERRARI-328-GTS-GTB-LEFT-LH-Rear-FENDER-Quarter-Panel-Driver-OEM-321389008767-3.jpg

My perception is that I have it pretty close... a sharp crease over the edge and a little wider that connects the arch with the car body, both providing a G2 level of continuity. Maybe the sharp crease needs to be a little more sharp...I will make this correction

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  17. neutron1k

neutron1k Active Member

It seems to me that your wheel arch is a bit small according to the image. I mean the part between top of arch and car body is too short, but maybe it's only my feel. Anyway good work!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  18. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    Also, your rims have something's wrong.
    Look at the attachments, the different angle doesn't justify a so huge difference of the distance among the spokes' line and the edge of the rim. And the blend spokes/rim is too soft. rim.jpg ferrari_328bgt_wheel.jpg

19. thomas2002gr

thomas2002gr New Member

Check! I will have this issue fixed

20. thomas2002gr

thomas2002gr New Member