Jaguar XF R-S 2013

nice work so far dave. got a question for you. do you use the spline cage just for reference, or do you actually end up extruding from the splines? im just wondering if this is an approach that can be integrated into Maya and it seems the cage is a nice reference tool.

thanks.

dave_3d

Super Moderator
got a question for you. do you use the spline cage just for reference, or do you actually end up extruding from the splines?
The spline cage s only used as a 3d guide. Really helps. Adds to the plane views of a blueprint. I will be using this method again.

Here is what I finished with for that days work.

I show also the spline cage over the model.

Dave

Attachments

dave_3d

Super Moderator
Ah .... On holiday is great! I could actually get a few hours at this, getting back into the flow of polymodelling. Using the Nitrous display in 3ds Max for real-time reflections to check for bumps. :)

I will continue to refine things, but managed to make a start on the rear bumper, and front bumper.

Here are a collection of screen previews, wires - smoothed and unsmoothed.

Dave

Jaguar_XF_012a.jpg Jaguar_XF_012b.jpg Jaguar_XF_012c.jpg Jaguar_XF_013a.jpg Jaguar_XF_013b.jpg Jaguar_XF_013c.jpg

Oscar J

There seems to be some discontinuity between the two doors, when you watch the reflections on each side of the door seam at picture 4/6. Other than that, again, nice work!

Kangal

I agree, Oscar, same remark by me too. I think Dave already knows it and being a WIP i'm quite sure he's planning to fix it later :)
Great work overall thou!

Duron

Super Moderator
You doin great but you need to care of your edgeflow. If your mesh isnt smooth enough you will see it afterwards clearly on renderings. Also you need more segments for chamfers, currently the surfaces are to smooth.

My advise (for all): create a standard material in max with these settings:

diffuse 25 grey
spec level 40-60
glossiness 30-100

and just pan around your model.. you will see any bumps!

viewport.jpg
Jaguar_XF_012c.jpg
Jaguar_XF_013c.jpg

TwoOneOne

Administrator
cool car and nice progress here.

And i can only second Durons advise about the shader for modelling. In maya you can just use the standard blinn material and it´ll show every single bump and pinch. I love this shader for modeling and hate it at the same time because it´s so unforgiving ;)

Cheers

dave_3d

Super Moderator
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I use a fully reflective, dull specular and flat material while modelling. Bear In mind that my cloudy HDRI that I use as an environment is probably not the best - as smaller overcast clouds look like grey patches.

The edge flow on the front wing, and by the light is like that, because I will cut there and need it a little denser to keep radius flow. Yet to cut and tidy that up. I'll have a look at the areas pointed out.

I am being careful for surface flow. Certainly I have slightly irregular spacing, but I try to keep the actual surface flowing. I am constantly tweaking the mesh. Easier if you can maintain a regular mesh ... but sometimes I need to bend the rules ... ;)

This is a little test render - default lights, with hyper reflective shader and a dull specular. Flow looks ok to me over the doors. In fact if you look at real cars, they are also never perfectly aligned between panels.

I also include a good few angles using my dull specular shader, direct from the viewport.

Dave

Jaguar_XF_014a.jpg Jaguar_XF_014b.jpg Jaguar_XF_014c.jpg Jaguar_XF_014d.jpg Jaguar_XF_014e.jpg Jaguar_XF_014f.jpg Jaguar_XF_014g.jpg Jaguar_XF_014h.jpg Jaguar_XF_014i.jpg Jaguar_XF_014j.jpg

Kangal

Hi Dave
Sorry if i look picky, but i guess u're working for a top notch work, so i'm taking the freedom to remark what is in the attachment. I don't want to bother u of course but after all the WIP section is meant to be a place for constructive critiques, hopefully this is such.
Basically i still see a quite huge surface discontinuity among the door and the front fender. From this view i can't say about the other blends.
The little red circle on the upper right corner of the headlight indicates a strange black reflection who probabilly is a micro bump but pretty deep.
About the issues of the real cars, yes it's right...but hey, this is a Jag, so the tolerances are very minimal, and i also think CG should allow us to create something better than the reality about surfacing. For example Rhino could work with 0,00001 tolerance, this isn't possible even in a Formel 1 engine.

Attachments

dave_3d

Super Moderator
Kangal, you are right, that is a bad area. But that is where I will make a cut to detach the front bumper from the wing - and also to cut out more for the light (not done that yet). As I mentioned.... ;)

Dave

Duron

Super Moderator
I know what your goal is Dave, but may i recommend you something. You need more edgeloops first before you cut out the gaps. Because the curvature of a fender for example will never be that smooth with less edgeloops like in this stage of the model now. Just want to share my experience with you. :)
cut.jpg

dave_3d

Super Moderator
Thanks Duron, exactly what I am aware of (my background is mathematics, interpolation and control points I understand ;) ). I may detach after a smooth, I'll have a play with that. Ive been holding back doing that.

Like you I hold back from detaching and chamfering for as long as I can.. I keep going over the surfaces. It is a big 3d puzzle to get the results you want when folding polys. :) Keeps me busy, and I am getting a chance to spend some time on this. I was getting rusty and out of practice - not done this for over a year.

Dave