Koenigsegg Agera R (WIP) Spline Modelling

What method do you use for modelling cars?

• Total voters
Hey all!
This is my first thread here at SMCars! I've been following SMCars forums for quite some time (under a different name :p), but never posted anything! There is a lot of talent in here!

Now to some serious business! I've been modelling cars in 3ds Max for a year now, but never tried spline cage modelling. I've heard that it is good for a smooth finish and for organic hard surfaces, like the Agera R.

I need help from you guys though. I've done a spline cage (my first!), but don't know where to go from here. There aren't any tutorials I could find. Couldn't find decent blueprints of the Agera R too, so this is made from images.

Please tell me if this needs improving, or if you need more shots to evaluate this. Never done this before!

Do I now start poly-modelling, snapping polygons etc., or do I start patching it and apply a Surface modifier? I'm absolutely lost! Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks all!

Attachments

TwoOneOne

Administrator
hi and welcome here at smcars.

your splinecage is definitely a good start and for most modelers around here the next step would be polygon modeling the body of the car following the splines and use them as a 3D blueprint, which you even can use to snap your verts etc.
As i said this would be the preferred method for most of us although there are other methods out there e.g. splinepatching and nurbs modelling ...

here´s a good tutorial: http://www.munkmotion.com/tutorials/nsx/1a.htm

and here´s a timelapse video of me starting the polygonbase of a car:

cheers

Oscar J

Good luck! If you have any questions or problematic areas, I might be able to help you - I just finished mine. :)

The spline cage is looking fairly good, apart from the front bumper which has some serious bumps. Don't know if you intend to fix that in the modelling stage though.

@TwoOneOne Wow thanks for the links! Those will be helpful for sure! I think I'll go with poly-modelling only, I can only imagine what a nightmare it would be to patch this thing!

@Oscar J Thanks! I actually started creating the splines from the front, so I was a bit unsure, but as I started working, I started getting the hang of it so maybe that's why ;) I'll try to fix them right now (now that you said it, they do look hideous :D), or maybe I'll just redo them. Will post the finished ones in a while!

@Oscar J Wow that looks awesome! I'm thinking of starting to lay down some polygons, the front end of the hood with the breaks seems too complex for splines (for me at least!) Now to familiar territory, poly-modelling!
Hopefully I can get close to yours! :p

Xaad

Hi devil designer..
Welcome to forums.. Good to see that u r modelling a Koenisegg Agera R....
Nice Spline cage but the tail-lights are looking odd. Try to widen it... ;)

@Xaad Hey!
They do seem to fit in with the reference that I have, but I can't tell for sure, because it is basically a shape in the air :D I think I'll leave it for now and see if it needs fixing after I model a little more :)

Xaad

Hi Devil Designer............ :)
As i stated about taillights... i m sure u can fix this
well any ways great spline caging...... Keep it up...
I m watching this Thread closely as Erik_S has skipped the making of Agera R, i m sure that u can do it :)

Check out my MP4-12C WiP and ask for help it needed.... ;)

Cheers,
Xaad

That was looking good! Especially the hood! I did an MP4 earlier, didn't turn out as good! I was thinking of reviving it and doing some tweaking and renders after the Agera, looking at your model! Why'd you stop?

I did need one thing: in your thread you said you were using the TS1 technique? What is it exactly? I've seen it at least once before too.

Xaad

That was looking good! Especially the hood! I did an MP4 earlier, didn't turn out as good! I was thinking of reviving it and doing some tweaking and renders after the Agera, looking at your model! Why'd you stop?

I did need one thing: in your thread you said you were using the TS1 technique? What is it exactly? I've seen it at least once before too.
Hi Devil Designer....
The TS1 technique can be done by making a low poly model and apply TS1 (TurboSmooth) modifier and collapse it..
then start matching again the new polies... and seperate by smoothing groups for sharp edges for later chamfering............. :D

I hope that u get it, if any thing well wrong u can ask me about it.

Cheers,
Xaad

Oscar J

I usually start doing the base mesh without any details or cuts, and keep sharp edges sharp using smoothing groups. When I feel that the basic shape is good enough, you collapse the mesh - so that you get a dense but clean mesh where you can cut out holes, panel cuts and other details. When you're done with all that, you start chamfering.

Though if you find an error in the overall shape, it's a bit tricky to fix it - keeping a copy of the base mesh in another layer can save you in some cases.

Some good examples for you to check out: http://www.cg-cars.com/showthread.php/5863-Bugatti-Veyron
http://www.smcars.net/forums/threads/duron-bmw-m6-f13.38166/

Some modellers like this technique, some don't. It's up to you, of course, if you want to use it.

Good luck! :)

@Xaad @Oscar J Thanks for the tips, I'll try the TS1 technique too! I've kind of modeled the front bumper, but I'm not really happy with it. Man it's hard! Will probably post some screenshots later tonight!
I think I'll go part by part. I'm doing the front bumper right now, as you said, with no details or holes. Then I'll collapse it and make the vents etc. Once I'm happy, I'll move on to the next part, like the hood! :)

Hey all!
Worked a little bit on the hood. The front bumper was coming out to be really bad shaped, so I just deleted it all! I read somewhere on this forum, the guy said to add a high specular material on the paint so that bumps show up (maybe Duron). Tried it, and couldn't spot any more, up to you guys now!

Also, I tried the TS1 technique, well let's just say those were too many polygons for me to manage! All this took lots of time, hence the late update ;). I still consider myself to be new to this, so I need some heavy criticism to help me improve! I'll provide more screenshots if you need!

Thanks!

Attachments

@Xaad I don't understand what you mean by an open chamfer? Could you elaborate? Maybe an image? :D
I've never really tried smoothing groups, but I'll try to learn about them a little more! Thanks!

Xaad

Dude i have tried by makin a simple mesh with no vents and holes for just to test my skills,
I made the shape of the Rear of GTR with a base mesh, then applied ts1 collapse with smoothing groups to keep edges hard and then i arranged the vertices by checking Face Constraint and then ended up with this ;)
3dsmax 2013-07-31 16-08-54-85.jpg 3dsmax 2013-07-31 16-08-57-36.jpg

I hope u understand...

Cheers
Xaad