Lowpoly contest : 2001 Renault Velsatis

tom120934

Administrator
First screenshots of my Velsatis for my 1st contest ever.

1628 tris so far. Next to come : completing the body (mirrors, windows, front lights) and choosing rims from Renault catalogue.

Attachments

That front bottom grille, you're better off texturing it, if you ask me ;)
Other than that, looks good, car has quite a few sharp edges so you've done that nicely.

clix101

I agree with the above, please add mmore polies to your hood and just texture the grills, that will look better and save you alot of polies ;)

tom120934

Administrator
Thanks for your replies, guys !

For the front grille, I will texture it later to see how it looks.

revelli and clix101, about adding more polys to the hood, can one of you spot where exactly you think they're needed ? To my eyes, it looks pretty accurate.

Here's today update : some wires with basic materials applied, and a preliminary render (with very few parts smoothed for the moment, I just discovered smoothing groups are not really implemented in Blender so it's a bit unnatural)

Attachments

tom120934

Administrator
I added just a row to the hood, and redispatched existing rows. Better now IMO.

Here's a smoothed, untextured render. I know it's a bit overexposed, due the HDRI I've used.

Polycount is 2792, 916 for rims and tires. I will first finish models (interior, underbody & mirrors & front lights) and then I will detail it : for example, front need an extra vertical row I think.

Attachments

nice update, but you could remove those polygons, which represents that black frame on edges of your back window, you can do that easily with opacity map and texture

I like your rims, and their polycount is lower than I expected. I still think that grille up front should be textured: you're gonna need quite some polys for the interior, because it's so big.

tom120934

Administrator
Thanks for crits, guys. Will change it for my next modelling session (maybe in a few days, I'm on vacation from tomorrow)
So no model update for the moment, just a clay render from the back.

Attachments

tom120934

Administrator
Long time, no update. Just a word to wish good luck to anyone entered this contest. This will be my last post for this contesst, not enough time to be able to finish it in the deadlines. But I will rework on the car later, maybe in a high poly version. Or NURBS, I started playing with that on a 2005 Audi A6.

PS : Also too bad no comments in 2 weeks for it. Maybe it's not a popular car :) Or maybe the speed limiter rumor is scary to people who never really drove it :D