Marek Racing Prototype

nosalis

Hello guys,
I'm working on a render of a car that I designed for a computer game, and I have a scene setup that's after rain, and I want to play with idea of having a rain drops on the car,

the effect should look like something like this here, but not as strong.
I could probably create a texture with the drops and map them onto the car, and then render them with some sort of bump/reflection , however the part of creating the texutre - making it look realistic - I think will be quite difficult

bentley_rain.jpg

so I was wonder, is there something procedural I can use? some sort of particles that would stick to the car?
this is for render image, so it doesn't have to be texture based

any tips appreciated

nosalis

this is what I got so far,
not really convincing to a degree that I would like to have,
this was purely 2d texture ( just small tillable grid, not really focusing on mesh details )

marekrp02.jpg

kriscabrera

nice work mate! love the car! as far as the rain, i would use a particle system and have the car set up to attract them or stick to them. Then instance some random rain drops on the particles and render them as a pass with refraction etc. or render all together.

nosalis

can I use standard max particles?? I don't have any plugins like real flow or so?

I tried to render it separately, which gives me more control in postproduction, but might be easier to run it together with main pass

sabaman

that is so sweet, id love to see more pics (by more i mean alot more), now i have to edit my car im working on because the front shot is 90% the same lol, great going man awesome car,...

kriscabrera

can I use standard max particles?? I don't have any plugins like real flow or so?

I tried to render it separately, which gives me more control in postproduction, but might be easier to run it together with main pass
yea Max particles will work fine, and there pretty easy to setup for something like this. Dont need anything special plugins

nosalis

cool, that will be helpful! :)
yeah, If I want to do this, it has to be done properly, no cheap tricks :)

friend also found this tutorial in maya, so I will try to reproduce this in MAX

nosalis

so I finally found a tutorial how to do this, but it' just so slow that I'm thinking to not doing the drops, at least not as 3d particles.

I don't really have slow machine, but I suppose using the emit from surface on such high polygon car isn't the best idea, oh well.

If emitting particles from a high poly surface is a problem, could you do something like use a low poly version of the car to emit the particles, and just not have it visible in the render?