Nissan Skyline C110 (Kenmeri/Yonmeri)

Discussion in 'WIP Critique: Video Game & Real-Time' started by Bakasan, May 24, 2013.

1. Bakasan

Bakasan Active Member

Professional Procrastinaor
    Here is a model of a very brilliant JNC, the C110 Skyline. It is the fourth generation of Skyline, initially released in 1972 and produced up until 1977 when it was replaced by the C210. over it's lifetime, about 670,000 were made in either 4 door sedan(Yonmeri), 2 door (fastback hardtop) coupe(kenmeri) and a 5 door van(Kenmeri, I think.). This car is nicknamed "Kenmeri or Ken Mary" because of the Japanese advertising that featured a young couple (named Ken and Mary) and their adventures with the then new C110 Skyline. The advertising campaign was highly sucsessful, helping to boost sales even further. Several versions were available, starting with base Skylines equiped with either 1.6 or 1.8 litre inline 4 Prince G engines. The sportier 2000GT Skyline featured nicer body and interior uphustery, and of course was equipped with Nissan's L20A inline 6 engine, making 130BHP and 172NM of torque. the 200GT or 2000GT-X was avaliable in either 2 door or 4 door body styles. The "best" C110 was introduced in september, 1972, and was known as the 2000GT-R. The GT-R featured numerous upgrades over the 2000GT-X, such as a unique, simplified grille, rear boot spoiler and bolt on overfenders, as well as a better interior. The biggest change however was to be found under the bonnet, where instead of a normal L20A, The high performance S20 engine was found, producing 160BHP at 7000RPM and 180NM of torque at 5600RPM. Due to the oil crisis, the GT-R's lifespan was cut short, finishing in March '73 wit just 197 GT-R's built, making it even rarer than it's brother, the KPGC10 GT-R. C110 history lesson over, lets talk about the model. I started it about a week ago, and so far most of the body is made. I still have to fix several mesh errors, and make all of the inside bits ^_^. The model i have made here is a 2000GT-X coupe, but i will make into all body styles made for the C110, and of course, The GT-R. I would like to complete this quicker than some of my other models, and I will update with any major progress. As for uses, the model will probabally find itself in games such as rFactor, LFS, GTA IV and so on.. Your opinions are welcome, and feel free no make any note of any part of the model you think could be improved, oh and i also forgot i might add in some "special" versions as i progress through the model. anyway, please enjoy, comment and enjoy happy moddeling. Ja mata ne:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      78.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      94 KB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      88.2 KB
      Views:
    • 4.png
      4.png
      File size:
      302.1 KB
      Views:
    • 5.png
      5.png
      File size:
      340.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
    Speedjunkie, chad3006 and Kangal like this.
  2. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    Thanks for the long introduction, very interesting.
    Are u modeling it with Sketch Up? It seems clean however basical.

3. Bakasan

Bakasan Active Member

Thanks for replying Kangal, and yes, I use sketchup. iv'e only been working on it for about a week after school, so i have not added much detail to it yet. once I get the grille and tail lights sorted, I will add more detail.

4. Bakasan

Bakasan Active Member

Just a small update, i've been working on my hachi mostly, so progress is kind of slow for the rest of my models. Firstly, I started the taillights and the rear fascia or whatever it's called (the version with larger outside taillamps, lower spec ones i think had evenly sized taillamps)
    taillamps.png
    I also made the bit behind the bumper
    nobumper.png
    Im not sure if it's just me, but i think the side of the car is a little flat. Thats about all for now, next I might start on the front grille, and then adding details like panel gaps and trim, as well as interior, engine and underside. Peace Out ^_^

Oscar J likes this.
  5. Oscar J

Oscar J Well-Known Member

Looking quite good for being sketchup, actually for being any software!

Bakasan likes this.
  6. Bakasan

Bakasan Active Member

i started the grille today, it's the 2000GT grille
    grille.png

Speedjunkie and Kangal like this.
  7. johnas

johnas VIP

Nice looking model, what kind of wireframe Sketchup makes? Few models I've reviewed, their wireframe hasn't been good for game engines.

8. Bakasan

Bakasan Active Member

Thanks for replying Johnas!
    Sketchup can result in bad game mesh as you don't nessisarily have to use triangle modelling, leaving you with a model like this
    Capture.PNG
    a model like this wouldn't work very well in a game. As for the wireframe created by the program, it makes meshes just like anything else. Forgive ,me if i'm rude, but generally the reason sketchup meshes are unsuitable for games is the way the authors model (most models are made for the 3d warehouse, rather than gaming), not the program itself. A properly executed sketchup model should be just as good as what would be modeled in 3ds max and so on. Really, it's up to the author to determine the quality of a model rather than the software, or at least thats what i believe. There are some other authors who use sketchup and produce quality stuff such as Rogue@ (made a stunning XB Falcon coupe) and Paul B (author of various Lincolns, usually converted to Grand Theft Auto)

9. Bakasan

Bakasan Active Member

A little more progress ^_^ It's still not that accurate, particularly around the frontal area, but from the doors back it's better. It also turns out that I've modelled the C111 grille and taillights, which is the facelifted model made after 1976, but that's fine because I will make both versions. Here are some pictures for you to enjoy ;)
    1973 Nissan Skyline C110 1.png 1973 Nissan Skyline C110 2.png 1973 Nissan Skyline C110 3.png 1973 Nissan Skyline C110 5.png 1973 Nissan Skyline C110 6.png 1973 Nissan Skyline C110 4.png
    As always, C&C are welcome. Happy modelling :p

10. Bakasan

Bakasan Active Member

I think I've fixed the front issues, it should be fine now. There's just a few details that need adding and i can start the chassis and interior, such fun;). Here's some photos of where I'm at (I really must do the C110 grille soon!)
    Nissan Skyline C110 1.png Nissan Skyline C110 2.png Nissan Skyline C110 3.png Nissan Skyline C110 4.png
    (If you're wondering, the wheels are SSR Longchamp XR-4 14x8)

11. N_modder

N_modder Member

Really nice to see another fellow Sketchup user, I am a rfactor, GTR Evolution modeler, I do all my 3d stuff in Sketchup, texturing in DeepUV, Renderings and "render to texture" in 3dmax and textures in Photoshop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hope you don´t take me wrong showing this here, just wanted to show that I agree with Bakasan, if you want a model to look good on games, you have to make sure the mesh is made right in Sketchup. I think you can obtain allmost the same results in Sketchup as you do in 3dmax, it just takes more time, and you have to do everything "by hand" lol

Lackes and Bakasan like this.
  12. Bakasan

Bakasan Active Member

Nice work there! I think I've seen that particular model somewhere before, and it does look just as good, if not better than a vast majority of commercial 3d models and models made with other programs. Basically, it's the artist that makes a model how it is, not the program...

Speedjunkie likes this.
  13. Speedjunkie

Speedjunkie Active Member

Independent Game Developer
    Exactly. Btw love this model Bakasan, and thanks for the history lesson:) I really like the geometry, it looks so clean and tidy, should run nicely in a game even with an interior.

Bakasan likes this.
  14. Bakasan

Bakasan Active Member

Thanks, I'm quite happy with the geometry, although there are still some reflection errors which need sorting out, mainly behind the rear window. Also, the model will have a fully detailed interior and chassis/engine by the final version, which applies to all of my cars.

Speedjunkie likes this.
  15. Speedjunkie

Can't wait for the interior :) I wanna try to make my racing game compatible with user created car mods(like the game City car diving for instance) in the FBX format. Would be awsome to see this one as an addon in my game ;)

Btw, are you using the intersection technique?

16. Bakasan

Bakasan Active Member

Thanks for replying, and yes, I'd love to add my vehicles to your game once both are ready. My cars will also eventually have many tuning parts, so if your game supports tuning I can take advantage of that too.

I do also use the intersection technique sometimes, mainly for the wheel arches (I take care into ensuring it yields good edgeloops). I may also use intersection for extruded shapes, such as the gauge surrounds of the Datsun 240Z I'm doing aswell.

Here's how the Kenmeri interior actually looks:
    [​IMG]
    Judging by the loom of it, I don't think i will have to use intersection too much here.

17. Speedjunkie

Yes, the game will have tuning parts, both visual and performance mods. All cars, execpt the Integra is complete with interiors, so that's nine cars in total. Currently working on the rims and bodykits.

Good to hear you're using the intersection the right way:) I can see some similarities between that interior and the newer skyline interiors.