Opel GT 1100

Pete-MJL

OPEL GT2

Well, it IS one of the better shaped Opels for sure and not as dull as they usually come.
However, these cars were not too well designed and wanted to take off at certain speed :shock: . Therefore, many had their front filled with concrete...
I had the chance to drive one regularly in the early eighties. Not exactly my peace of cake though.
As most Opels ( and most other brands ) of that era, they also rotted veeeery badly.

But it' s Nice print :wink:

Peter

OPEL GT2

in the early eighties? :?
Musta been the decade that made you spit out the "piece of cake" you were eating.
This car incorporates the late 60ies and early 70ies.
There is not one car from the 80ies that is worth driving today. I'm serious.

Pete-MJL

OPEL GT2

You' re right about the date, Motorsport-Klassiker. These cars were produced from 1968 to 1973.
However, by then, it was completely outdated, both the bodywork ( late fifties - early sixties ) and the mechanicals ( even earlier ) ...

From 1980 to '86 - well, I was voted old fart of this forum by Hawktoey :? - I was working as a panel beater in a local garage were we did all but modern cars.
Most cars were classics from the fifties, sixties and early seventies, like Citroën traction, ID-DS, Triumph ( complete sportscar range ) Alfa Romeo ( mostly the gorgeous but " brittle " Bertone coupé' s ), vw Beetles, Mini' s, Willy' s jeeps and Landrovers, Porsches ( 911, 914, ... ) etc, etc and also ... truckloads of 2cv' s !

The GT came in one day, looking pretty clean, but in need of new sills. The previous owner - a manufacturer of polyester yachts - had replaced them by err ... you guessed it !?:shock:

There is not one car from the 80ies that is worth driving today. I'm serious.
This can be said of many cars from the past too. Take the VW Beetle for one. It was noisy, thirsty, uncomfortable, " slippery " and a lot more that doesn' t fit in today. Nevertheless, a lot of people shell out incredible amounts of money to own one these days...
For me, the " Classic " era ended when bumpers were entirely made from rubber and plastic ( remember the ugly 1974 MGB ? ) interiors were stuffed with even more plastic, and electronics went on to replaced good' ol electrics...
Not a single post- eighties car left to keep for me then I' m afraid.

Luckily, tastes do vary and many present day cars will be kept too.:wink:

Peter

OPEL GT2

A team of hot-rodded Opel GTs were entered in the Targa Florio one year, I don't know which, I saw an article on them in Automobile Quarterly in the mid '70s. These GTs were fitted with Commodore sixes and flares that looked like the Greenwood/IMSA Corvette ones. Those GTs looked like junior 'Vettes and were just beautiful.....

Pete, weren't the bodies of the GT fibreglass anyway?