Pitbull

Discussion in 'WIP Critique: Miscellaneous' started by Kangal, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    Hi guys.
    I decided to improve my skills learning some organic modeling.
    I tried to do this Pitbull in Rhino, but no way, i didn't get it at all. So i've been forced to switch to another software.
    It's Sculptris, the free version of Z Brush. I've downoloaded it for free at the Pixologic site.
    This is my very first model, a Pitbull in ABDA standard. I've exagerated the muscles (to be frank i saw someone more or less like this...lol).
    I've taken the screenshots from Rhino because its render viewport is better.
    I've followed some tutorials and now i know how to unwrap it, but to do a good texturing work i'd need a software like Mari or Allegorithmic Painter. We'll see :)
    Ah, my nick on CG talk is InterstellarOverdrive (lol) .

Immagine 3.jpg Immagine 5.jpg
    Immagine 2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
    nasi likes this.
  2. sh00ks

sh00ks Active Member

Project Manager
    Cool!! My 2 best friends are pitbulls (American Staffords to be precise) :D
    Looking realy good for a first sculpt!

If you're going for the beefed up breed, maybe accentuate the jaw muscles/lines more. These are a big part of the cararcteristic head of a pit ;-)

Please keep posting your progress!

3. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    Thanks. Yes u're right , i should sculpt the jaw a bit more. I've to understand how this organic modeling works about texturing above all, I just don't know how to keep on at the moment.

4. Speedjunkie

Speedjunkie Active Member

Independent Game Developer
    Nice! I've used Sculptis before. Used it to make a cartoon hedgehog character for a game I was making. It was before I learned the basics of 3d modelling, so I ended up with a very high poly model (so it was useless for game use:)). I eventually got very frustrated with thel lack of direct control over the polygons, but for CG artwork it works great.
    Would be nice to see the Wireframe.

5. Kangal

Kangal Well-Known Member

Time waster
    Immagine 2.jpg Hi. So, u too used Sculptris, nice :)
    This is the wireframe, i could reduce the ngons more, but it would loose too many sculpt's details.
    Probabilly in Z Brush u have more ngons' control, i don't know. For sure i know it has more features like something called as ''Z spheres'' for rigging and ''Dynamesh'' (which i ignore completely) plus tons of features about texturing/painting , skinning and so on.

6. sh00ks

sh00ks Active Member

Project Manager
    Advantage of ZBrush is the fact it doesnt create ngons at all: only polys and tri's!!

I don't know Sculptris at all, but it looks like a good 'introduction' for yourself to determine if organic/clay modeling is something for you. If this is the case, I can realy advise you to invest in ZBrush! It's a whole new world of modeling at your feet.

I'm so used to modeling in 3ds Max/Maya, I'm having trouble to make that switch in my mindset about how to approach a new model: no more starting of with a primitive that is carefully builed up to a model, but starting off with a big lump of 'clay' and pushing/pulling it in it's main shape and then 'sculpt' the finer details.