Price for model mesh

naMReg

(I don't know if this is the right place to post this, I beg the administrators to move it where it belongs at their own will.)

I've made a 3D model for some advertising campaign, I made the renders for an static ad, the clients loved it, it looked so real that they didn't believe it was a 3D model.

Now they want to make an animation, a turn around animation. As they want to do it themshelves they have requested me to give them my 3D scene to do it, but I don't really want to as in my scene there are all the rendering secrets I have learned over the years, so I'm just going to give them my 3D mesh without any materials applied and no light information whatsoever.

My question are:

Is this right?
Have they got the right to have my scene with all the materials, light info and stuff? They paied me nice, for my time and for the final renders, but in the price, should I include the scene and all my secrets?
Should I charge them more money for it? I mean, for the mesh, not the scene, I don't really want to give it up to noone.

I'd appreciate all the help given, thanks :D

cheers

Pete-MJL

Hi naMReg,

Have they got the right to have my scene with all the materials, light info and stuff? T
No, they don' t.
If they asked you to create an illustration, then that is all they can get.
If they asked you to create a model for them, then you give them the model of course, but no illustration.

Should I charge them more money for it? I mean, for the mesh, not the scene, I don't really want to give it up to noone.
Of course . It' s an extra. Now they can create tons of illustrations and animations if they want to.
Don' t give them your secrets though AND let them know they wouldn' t OWN the model...

Good luck,

Peter

naMReg

Thank you very much Peter.

I have another question: How much should I charge for the mesh? It's just a bottle, but the label was a tricky one, it's not just a paper wrapped around the bottle, it has many vynil shapes that I had to model and then adjust to the overall bottle shape.

Should I charge them per hour of modeling?

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers.

naMReg

Yes, i did charge them for the hours of modeling and for the final image.

I would charge an extra for their “use" of your model.
How much should I charge them???? I'm planing on giving them the bottle mesh, the label meshes, the liquid inside and the bottle cap, nothing else. All with a simple Lambert grey material.