Real World Racer: 06 Dodge Grand Caravan

alexL

Yup, I'm making a racer out of my beloved minivan, something of an offroad rally van. i'm gunna convert it from a front engine fwd to a mid engine awd, lower it, change wheels, bodykit, chop a bit off the roof, put air vents on the side somewhere to cool the engine (im thinking the v10 from a viper or maybe a 6.1 hemi from the challenger) strip out the interior stuff and roofrack, replace the auto gearbox with a 6 speed manual, install rollcage and replace glass windows with mesh windows

ill try to get some images posted 2nite probably more like 2morro, but this is definately going to be a fun contest

alexL

i love the espace actually, its too bad ive never seen one in real life tho

anyways i started on the frontend today, going to go pull it into the street and get some proper refpics in a while, im going to start with the stock body and then change it

Attachments

alexL

pretty uninteresting update, just did the roof and started on the body backwards, ive yet to get some good ref pics since its been raining and ive been somewhat ill, hopefully ill be able to show some more progress after the weekend

i dont have a sketch for this one, my drawing skills are well... undeveloped haha

Attachments

alexL

well at this point theres errors everywhere but im just trying to get the basic structure down, the back end has some smoothing issues n stuff but im gunna keep hackign away at it

anyways heres some nice big renders of it so far, i was hoping to have more done at this point but i had a busy weekend of fighting with my water system :)

@ schaefft - this one is just going to be highpoly although i will definately do a lowpoly caravan in the future

Attachments

alexL

sry that i havent updated in a few days, im on a dialup connection for the rest of the summer :| so i will find some time and upload the pictures later on but im still working away at it

alexL

happy canada day folks, what an inspired name for a holiday :)

so anyways heres some pics of what ive done so far i know theres loads of bumps but im happy with the design so far, i think im going to remove the rear hatch to have a place for the spare tires and exhaust pipes

rims are just temporary for now but ill do something along those lines (theyre from my evo 7)

Attachments

started to do all the seams too early - the whole model is very bumpy and also i think it's somehow is a bit off with the proportions. I advise u not to rush so much and try fix the bumps :) take your time for this part

alexL

thanks for the advice guys, i havent done anythign with the body really since the last update, but i think i might redo parts of it, im not sure yet

but i did a racing seat and started the roll cage, i dont have any idea how it should look so im just winging it for now

for the proportions i might do a roof chop and widen the wheel arches a bit to give it a lower stance, well stay tuned ill have a better update soon

Attachments

alexL

so ive got a bit of free time today (finally) so hopefully ill be able to make some real progress, so far ive started the headlights and rear lights, rear lights are gunna be nothing like the stock but front will be not too changed

also did the bumper and skirt ill probably add some more detail in both those areas, i also chopped a bit off the top, i couldnt do as much as i wanted to but im happy with it

next i need to figure out where i want the exhaust to come out (i was thinking of one huge tailpipe sticking out of the rear hatch) and obviously ive gotta fix the bumps, i think ive managed to make them worse somehow

Attachments

wow...this is certainly different.I like it somehow. you could imagine a 20 pack field racing on some tight course.Bumping and grinding along the way.