[rfactor] Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4

Discussion in 'WIP Critique: Advanced Video Game & Real-Time' started by OriK, Nov 7, 2009.

1. OriK

OriK Member

Well, in the past few weeks I could permanently work on the LP560-4. So i think this is something I can finish for rFactor. As I said already, due to a head crash the S7 fell back to a status where I just don't want to redo the whole interior stuff. Later perhaps.
    Before I wanted to create a thread I wanted to be sure that the Gallardo is going to be finished.

Regarding the model, you see the second body kit I intended to do for rFactor. The first version is the vehicle from stock. This body kit has been simply attached to the stock version with minor changes so that this works. The third kit will be completely new designed parts. Another feature again is the possibility to change the colors of nearly every single part. This allows you to create a lot of different color schemes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Chris

Chris Member

3D modeller at 4sight
    Stop making my models look bad :(

3. qretz

qretz Member

3D & Music Freelance
    Great, great, great ...

4. younglion

younglion VIP

wow thats very impressive man, i am almost speechless...almost

5. OriK

OriK Member

I made some quick color schemes to show how it works. Each colored part is a single mesh which can be switched in the customization menu later. Of course it's also possible to make single color variations for those of you who don't want to drive sneakers ;).

[​IMG]

6. sfookar

sfookar New Member

Finished renders will be amazing :)

7. RedStar

RedStar 1337

3D Generalist
    Hey Amigo, great job as always, mind sharing some wires?

8. schaefft

schaefft VIP

Vehicle Artist at Ubisoft Reflections
    That car looks pretty sick, would love to see some wires, too!

9. Lynx

Lynx Member

Auto Detailer
    Sick modeling!

10. Stachu

Stachu Member

Student
    could you show the wire, please? I'd like to know what do you make such nice chamfers :)

11. OriK

OriK Member

I didn't have much time today but I finished the complete lower body with the 2 body kits. Nothing worth to show so I just made some wire shots.

Attached Files:

12. Stachu

Stachu Member

Student
    wow! nice wire! what tehnique do you use to modelling it? nurbs?

13. advan

advan VIP

Engineering Student
    That's pretty much perfect. How do you get the mesh to flow so well?

14. Big Ron

Big Ron New Member

student
    Watching the wire of the Lambo, I would say, it never runs smooth in rFactor, if you hav a full car field. I do not know the polycount, but at the end, it will probably have nearly 100 000 tri-polys? Or much more? Most cars in rFactor have just 30-40 000 tri-polys.

I could say something wrong, but I could bet, you have too much polys. BUT, in this condition, it looks great

15. OriK

OriK Member

It's all about optimizing ;) . LODs, saving render calls, fake techniques like baking high detail on low poly geometry to save polygons and so on. Without the 3d grille the LP560-4 has 58.596 triangles. The 3d grille is for baking high detail on the low poly mesh (the 3d grille still gets smooth edges). I guess I need another 5000 triangles for the roof and the low detail 3rd p cockpit... Including the driver I might reach the same poly count like my Nismo and I already know that it WILL work ;). Especially because rFactor is customizable in this point. You can set the level of detail for your car and the opponents separately.

For smooth shapes I create splines. They allow me to align the vertices in a perfect line. In some cases I do this for each poly loop. Very time consuming but it helps a lot when you can't smooth the mesh via modifier. The mesh looks pretty chaotic in some areas but this results in best smoothing (after tweaking and tweaking and tweaking) so don't care about the wire there.
    I'm simply using the "poly by poly" technique. The guys at Polyphony use nurbs for their cars but this is over the top I think.

16. scuderia_rosso

scuderia_rosso New Member

Cg Artist
    Amazing Job. I can't help but notice the brake lights and what i was wondering is if you actually modelled those or do you normal map them to save polycount? looks great!!!

17. tom120934

tom120934 Administrator

COO
    The model looks impressive, it's really inspiring work to motivate me to put more energy into lowpoly.

Which software do you use to model and to do the realtime pics ? Is this rFactor directly ? How do you setup your shaders ? What's your modeling workflow ?

18. OriK

OriK Member

Thanks.
    @scuderia_rosso
    If you mean the small pimples on the taillight, they are normal mapped, of course ;).

@tom
    Driving your own car instead of only watching it is a pretty nice feeling :) but this requires a lot of additional work of course. LODs of your meshes, sounds, physics for the game, etc but it's definitely worth the effort so try it.

I'm using 3ds max and the shots have been captured from the viewport. Before I bring the car into rFactor I want to finish it except lods, lighting etc. The shader is from a friend and I must not publish it. It's a quite complex one in order to define many different types of materials. I really hope to get this shader into rFactor as well.
    Regarding the modelling I should make another tutorial because I figured out some new tricks to get a much better shading around the gaps for example. Perfect for cutting into rounded surfaces. Basically I model my cars like you do your base meshes for high poly vehicles. My meshes are "just a bit" more detailed in generell. The base structure is always very very rough. I don't try to model the final geometry in one step. Just define the hood with 50 polygons align the vertices, chamfer poly loops etc. Adding more and more details little by little. I do not care about triangles in the geometry but normally I can simply add a smooth modifier without getting a eye hurting result. As I said before, splines help a lot to get the smooth shapes of the car as well as using realtime reflections while modelling to see any imperfections. This time I also used blurred environment maps. Perfect for plastic or brushed parts or even special car paints like the white one :).

19. schaefft

schaefft VIP

Vehicle Artist at Ubisoft Reflections
    Its looking epic, I really gotta finish my car and make some nice pics of it. Thanks for posting your workflow here as well!

@scuderia_rosso: Haha, thought the sme. Didnt expect normalmaps this early :D

20. tom120934

tom120934 Administrator

COO
    So the pictures you posted are renders and not realtime pics ? If so, I would like to know about your rendertime and I'm already looking forward to see realtime pics.

About putting a car ingame, I know the extra work required. I've been documenting on using Blender GameEngine since a few months to create some kind of demo to view a future lowpoly of mine in realtime.