[rFactor] Saleen S7 Twin Turbo

Discussion in 'WIP Critique: Advanced Video Game & Real-Time' started by OriK, Sep 5, 2007.

1. OriK

OriK Member

My next project for the game rFactor. I just love the S7 TT so it was just a matter of time to see this car from me in rFactor. I'm still working on the Nismo but I had one week during a business trip to rework an older model from my car pool. 59.000 tris atm. The amount of polies will be a bit higher than the Nismo one especially due to the open visible engine. Cockpit of 3rd person model will be quite low (2000-2500 tris maybe).

Attached Files:

2. The IC

The IC uses too many smileys

3d Modelling Grunt
    looks so damn hot...i gotta try this medium-poly modelling some time too...

3. johnas

johnas VIP

Looks hot indeed o_O

Could you show some wireshots?

4. T-Shine

T-Shine VIP

OH YEAH!!!!

5. multimediaman

multimediaman Traffic Car Connoisseur

GUI Artist
    heh.... at first, before I viewed the attachments, I thought you were just saying you wanted to build this car, and you gave a couple photos to give an idea what it looks like...

looks awesome so far. any wires showing the door seams close-up? :p:p:grin:

6. OriK

OriK Member

Damn, I love this modeling technique because you can get results which don't look like real-time stuff and today's computer can easily handle this ingame. So you can even DRIVE your dream car. Just amazing :D .

Enclosed some wire shots. This time I tried to get an extremely smooth surface. I modeled with a reflection map to view the run of the spec light and the reflection itself. Many of the edges look misplaced or unnecessary but they all define the movement the reflection and the spec light.

Attached Files:

7. Masakari987

Masakari987 New Member

Very nice renders! Your model incredible, and those seams look sooo good :eek:
    Nice choice of car btw, not many people seem to model the S7

8. The IC

The IC uses too many smileys

3d Modelling Grunt
    as you said yourself, absolutely amazing stuff :), the wires will make a nice guide...i think ill give this technique a shot with my SuperGT SC430 so i can animate it easier

9. Icekid84

Icekid84 VIP

What exactly is the technique. I'm looking at your wires and its very impressive, infact damn sexy. But did you model low and use turbo or meshmooth to amplify the count. Or did you just take sections of your mesh and use msmooth on sections that needed it. OR is their some other technique thats new to me.

10. johnas

johnas VIP

Exactly what I want to know aswell :)

Makes me really envy when I look your wireframe

11. OriK

OriK Member

Actually it's not really a technique because it's just a base mesh before you can apply "Mesh or Turbo Smooth". I don't use any of these modifiers because they generate too many unmeant polygons. Most of the polygons result from chamfering and connecting edges. The main difference to a classic base mesh is only the level of detail and not the limitation to use quads only.
    Enclosed you can see a shot about difficult parts due to the "low poly" mesh. The main problem is to cut the door/hood gaps into round shapes. If you break the surface you get sharp edges. You can avoid that by cutting the gaps "IN" FLAT polygons. Don't chamfer edges between polygons which have different angles. Creating the gaps this way you get clean results as marked with the green circles. The reflection is not broken. The red circles show inaccurate cuts but sometimes the topology doesn't allow a smooth surface. Another trick to get smooth surfaces as well is to rotate the invisible edges into one direction. A nerve-racking task but the result looks incredibly smooth. If these edges are turned randomly you get kinks as you can see on the upper part of the door (also marked with a circle). The same problem here. Though the edge on the roof has been turned correctly, the topology generates a kink but turning this edge into the other direction destroys the overall flow on this part of the surface. So I have to live with that or I add more and more polygons.

Attached Files:

12. Icetiger01

Icetiger01 New Member

student, designer
    I like this car too, grate shape!)

13. Chris

Chris Member

3D modeller at 4sight
    Sure does look sexy :)
    But uhm, how u get reflections in the viewport?

If you can make some kinda tut/howto.

Mr.m

14. Silent][Moebius

Silent][Moebius New Member

the quality of your work is just incredible from each and every car, i mean especially now on this saleen, you can hardly see the renders aren't ones of a high poly model. just wow.

i think i need to get a proper comp towards the end of the year so i can play some up-to-date games and maybe with your models :)

15. OriK

OriK Member

@mr.mean
    You must apply a DX9 material to your model. 3dsMax has its own FX shader in order to apply normal, specular and reflection maps in viewport. Take the "StandardFX.fx" shader you can find in > maxX\maps\fx. DDS cubemaps are required which you can find in > maxX\maps\reflection.

@Silent][Moebius
    If you by a new computer by the end of the year you can run 20 of the Saleens at the same time in a race smoothly. It has been tested with the Nismo on a high end computer and works perfectly. The nismo will have less polygons than the Saleen but the Nismo will contain 20 teams with many high-res textures. The Saleen will just keep the original colors. That saves a lot of vram.

Attached Files:

16. LOST

LOST VIP

The model is lookin' great, so good job so far on that one.

17. RedStar

RedStar 1337

3D Generalist
    I have a question that bothers me everytime i look at one of your low poly models.

How do you get the smoothing to be great? I get werid black shades going by where i do seams unless i deatach as element the seams then its fine. But then i dont have the perfect smooth look like you do.

Can you share your secrets?

18. Catlin

Catlin VIP

redstar you just use the smoothing tool under editable poly to determine a sharp line and edge

19. OriK

OriK Member

@redstar
    You create very smooth high poly models. That's the secret. Just apply "ONE" smoothing group to your base mesh and you know what I mean. All techniques and knowledge you need you already have ;) .

20. 99GsTurbo

99GsTurbo New Member

amazing