Subaru impreza sti 2010

Discussion in 'WIP Critique: 3D Advanced' started by Xplod, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Xplod

Xplod New Member

Hi there,
    As a professional with alias studio tools so nurbs modeling, I train myself with polygonal modeling which is for me an other way to thing but good fun.
    Because I use everyday nubs, I'm a bit worry about the quality of the surface and highlight to be honest, but I'm gonna do everything is possible to have a perfect reflection.
    For now, it doesn't really looks like a impreza but i'ts still an idea of my polygonal skill. So If you have any note about the mesh or quality of modeling, topology (which is the most important to understand for me) feel free guys.
    See you on Monday, to see more about the beast !

01.png 02.png 03.png 04.png 05.png

2. helicase

helicase Well-Known Member

Hi, looks like a good start, can you show it smoothed? Your definition of perfect seems to be different than mine, so do you mind defining what you mean by perfect in a different way?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  3. Xplod

Xplod New Member

Hey,
    It doesn't look like something when I smooth it, I don't use "crease edge" tool, you will see more tonight so stay tune :)
    Alright, when I see the poly model I shown you, I could understand you may confused with my definition of perfect. But as I say I work with alias so this is what I call perfect highlight (Images below is a random fender/wing, just for the demo) So, I'm may not be able to reach this quality of surface for my first car poly model, but i want to get as close as possible, with the aim of doing, photo realist images.

06.jpg 07.jpg

Edit: I found some spare time to close the volume, I use the hard edge tool to show you the smoothed model, so all the pinch point you'll see it's because of that. I try to keep it as clean as I can, but I didn't finished.
    I'm a bit concern about the wheel arch not that round anymore, hope they are a solution to this issue.
    Anyway, here some new screenshot.
    Advise or tips are strongly recommended .
    Thank you.
    06.png 07.png 08.png 09.png 10.png

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  4. helicase

ahh, I see, nice! I'm not knowledgeable about poly sorry :(

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  5. Xplod

Xplod New Member

Hi,

I will not surrender !
    So, quick update of the progress, to keep me motivated. Currently working on the proportion of the car and the topology, so most of my time is playing with the vertices during I look at the picture, According to me, the tedious part.
    Still have the issues with the wheel-arch not really circle, but I keep that I the end, I may have an idea.

But I think I'm getting there !

So if you see something wrong with the proportion, please let me know.

Meanwhile ...

11.png 12.png 13.png

6. helicase

do you like using poly instead of nurbs why? faster?

7. Xplod

Xplod New Member

The main volume is definitely faster to achieve in poly, the longer it's tweaking the vertices during hours(sss) to get a good topology of surface -for my level-.
    I have to use it at work, we do sketch modeling in poly, and I need 2 hours maybe 3 to build the sketch, even more quicker to modify in live with the designer than nurbs ( yes even if you keep historic ^^)
    It is not that accurate or defined... but this is what I do this exercice to see how closer I can get to nubs.
    For me now the most difficult part is to have a nice line, or matching lines together, this is why the topology is super important to evoid pinching corner for example.
    And to be honest, it is also lot of fun ;-)

8. helicase

Ahh interesting.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  9. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Member

The edge line quality along the wheel arches are too sharp. And most of the time, wheel arches are
    not 100% circular. They usually taper out towards the bottom, allowing clearance for the wheels to move
    left and right.

10. Xplod

Xplod New Member

I've found some spare time to update the sti.
    Unfortunelty, i'm having a hard time with the hood ( and the details in general)
    pb07.png

Should I do the airvent separately following the split line ?
    I'm adding to much edges which mess up my surface quality, but it is the only way to doing it right ?

I also correct the quality of the wheelarch.
    pb06.png

Attached Files:

• pb06.png
      pb06.png
      File size:
      413.7 KB
      Views:
  11. TSonthebeat

TSonthebeat Active Member

man you shouldn't have made the details yet bc they looks bumpy. You should have cared more about having a base mesh then put 1 smooth iteration then collapsed it so you could start detailing. Now your model looks bumpy because the base mesh is not dense enough

12. Xplod

Xplod New Member

Aaah ok !
    I had no idea, everything makes sense now ^^
    I'm gonna redo that !
    I have absolutely no process in car polygonal modeling. Thank you again @TSonthebeat

In the same time, should I do the whole volume and do the part line after, because I see some model where guy do part by part, but to me the gap of the shutline won't be constant, am I right ? Is there a better way to do or both are the same ?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  13. helicase

the surfaces may be lumpy, but the forms are there

14. TSonthebeat

TSonthebeat Active Member

you should model the whole volume first then divide into parts

15. sh00ks

sh00ks Active Member

Project Manager
    Model is looking good for a poly-beginner!!

In addition to what TSonthebeat advises, I always use a base model for the overal flow and line.
    This I make out of on volume/mesh and ensure it has all silhouette lines, creases and shapes.

I make a copy of this and with the copy I start to build in the detail, working from big to small.
    When adding details, you can't avoid adding more loops/polys and therefor you can't avoid the flow of these areas will differt from the original/simple mesh. This gos also for cutting up the different parts, cause you are breaking flow and adding edge loops to get the rounded off corners properly.

Using a base mesh of the flow, enables you to adjust your detailed and cut-up parts so it's smoothed version matches the base/silhouette mesh.

I use a smoothed polygon mesh for the silhouette, but you can also make a proper spline cage with the same goals ;)

16. helicase

Are you going to render it out, or are you only going to focus on the modeling? The subaru impreza has some interesting challenges, i see why you picked it .

17. Xplod

Xplod New Member

Thanks for your advises guys! I get back to some step backward, I'm trying to clean it out a bit, to have a balance mesh now. Hopefully, I could work on it this week and post some progress.

@helicase, I'm gonna focus on the modeling for now. But the goal it's to do some renders, maybe a 1min animation if i'm still motivated enough to see this car on my screen ;)

helicase likes this.