The Frontpage

exidge

Administrator
Hey SMC Community,

it's about time to change things on the fronapge! We all know that it's dusty, and the content is not up to date at the moment (the bottom part is not).

I'd like to reorganzie things there and would like to hear your opnions suggestions. Right now, the plan is to make the content dynamic. Means we can have the latest WIP threads, Showcase Threads, Blueprints thread with Pictures on the Frontpage! Of course this needs some sort of organisation - not everything should be displayed.

Please add whatever you think regarding the frontpage, the leyout , chronology, etc, etc. We can't realize every of your thoughts, but it' still better to have opinions we can talk about.

Cheers,
exidge

Ralph123

Here are some things I noticed or that could be useful as an improvement:

One thing I don't get is why there are three different sections on the frontpage covering the latest WIP threads (the text preview at the left and the two underneath). I think most of the viewers just continue to the forum right away instead of scrolling all the way down on the frontpage.

It's also really hard to guess what category you are looking at on the frontpage. From an external point of view, I couldn't tell which frame on the frontpage is supposed to represent which category. I think it helped alot if you could restructure the content row by row(or column by column), one row for each category:

Row 1: Gallery with the left-right navigation (no need to change anything on this one)
Row 2: News (with a small preview pic) + giveaway-section
Row 3: Recent WIP threads (with a small preview pic)
Row 4: Recent blueprints (with a small preview pic)

Maybe you could also add some headlines for the different categories like you did for the News section.

I also think it'd be great if you moved up the giveaway-section. This way you probably get more people to join the forum and like your facebook fanpage.

To sum it up: Reduce the content and improve the structure. ;)

exidge

Administrator
Wow, this is great feedback Ralph! Category should be there, you're right. We just started with the news, but other rows needs update. What's a give away section? Like the HDRI or the downloads in the forums?

Cheers,
exidge

Ralph123

This is what i was referring to... I think it should be moved to the top because right now it doesn't get too much attention I guess. Or maybe even create a small area for current hdri giveaways/downloads/tutorials. Whatever you think works better :)

exidge

Administrator
Oh I see, the problem is that on top it would look weird, we already have the image slider which is wide screen, right under it would look weird. This is also used for other stuff, it's just featuring something whatever is new. It also can be a contest.

Or maybe even create a small area for current hdri giveaways/downloads/tutorials. Whatever you think works better
I think that's a great idea, will need a separate row for latest HDRI sets.

Cheers,
exidge

Falango

I like the layout of the front page already, but the content needs to be updated to keep it fresh. It's great to see current WIPs and recently completed projects in the banner, but below that, a mix of other current things would be great, like more WIPs, completed projects, articles, tutorials, and videos.

I think we would have enough regulars on here to have a new tutorial every 2 weeks or so. I would help contribute to this as well, and I'm sure users have archives of created tutorials (not necessarily links to other tutorials), that would directly benefit the SMC community!

exidge

Administrator
Hey Falango, your last idea about tutorials was great. Do you have any ideas how to stimulate people doing that? Everyone ofc could benefit from this. Right now the tutorial Forum seem to be dead.

Cheers,
exidge

Ralph123

Hey Falango, your last idea about tutorials was great. Do you have any ideas how to stimulate people doing that? Everyone ofc could benefit from this. Right now the tutorial Forum seem to be dead.

Cheers,
exidge
I also like the tutorial idea. Not quite sure how to get people to create tutorials for free though...

Maybe there should be a post on your facebook page for each tutorial with a short text, link to the tutorial and name of the author (opt. author information). This could give people the chance to build up some kind of reputation. Also it's more likely that people watch tutorials if they appear on their facebook page instead of a subforum on the smcars forum... Just my thoughts :)

exidge

Administrator
We can feature good tutorials on facebook for example,too!
I will try to upload good textures in the Gallery once the Forum is setup. And when I find time, I'll try to create some useful tutorials. Any help in that direction (content creation) would be great!

Cheers,
exidge

I also like the tutorial idea. Not quite sure how to get people to create tutorials for free though...

Maybe there should be a post on your facebook page for each tutorial with a short text, link to the tutorial and name of the author (opt. author information). This could give people the chance to build up some kind of reputation. Also it's more likely that people watch tutorials if they appear on their facebook page instead of a subforum on the smcars forum... Just my thoughts :)

helicase

One thing exidge: I have had to login like 5 times for it to stick, I don't know why it's being buggy.

Anyway... You can always put an extra tab that says "Textures" or something at the top by the HDRI one. Thank you so much for the share of your files, thanks! I already plan on using that tire tread texture. Awesome addition to the community. I mean, a lot of times when people sell these things, you find it on google image search the next day, same thing with tutorial video's, so thanks for not trying to like sell them haha.

EquiNOX

Just One thing.. are there easy navigation access to SMC Gallery choice page? or maybe categorize gallery i.e.
Showcase --> SMC Gallery Choice, Galley 3d, Gallery Animation, Gallery 2d. as option list ??

exidge

Administrator
Nope, I'd like to add that in the top navbar, but it will require some sort of tabs opening on mouse over.
There is also an option to make the Showcase Forums visible.

Cheers,
exidge

Kangal

I love the changes and improvements on the site.
My proposal is: What do u think to have 2 different columns, one for the WIPs (Stills and Advanced all together) and the other one for every other posts of whatever kind (apart from the blueprints donations who already have a their space on the bottom of the frontpage)?

EquiNOX

Nope, I'd like to add that in the top navbar, but it will require some sort of tabs opening on mouse over.
There is also an option to make the Showcase Forums visible.

Cheers,
exidge
Drop down menu if that what you mean? Mouse over --> Annoying. Clickable would be good. But I don't know if it would work with vBulletin platform? wouldn't they?