WZA Contest: "the Big Cat"

Finally, I dare to present my project here.

My model is done in Blender.

When zombie attack, you don’t have the time to build anything, you take what you have close to you.
Something sturdy, big and powerful.
Something like, yes, like that Caterpillar bulldozer, here.
A D11 with a 935 hp engine. Operation weight: 248,600 lb.

Attachments

tom120934

Administrator
Nice to see a new contender in the contest ! And by the way, welcome to SMCars.

Your choice is a good one, even if I disagree a bit about the "no time to build anything". Take a look to the "Dawn of the dead" remake, it looks like you have 2 main options when zombies attack :
- You die soon...
- or not : you're successful to secure yourself in some place. If it occurs that this place have some cars and some guns, you may take some hours / days to mount some guns & armor on a vehicle.

Anyways, your model looks a good start, with great level of details. Can we have a side view ?

Also, maybe you can put some size reference near your model, to show its actual size.

Keep us updated !

Your choice is a good one, even if I disagree a bit about the "no time to build anything". Take a look to the "Dawn of the dead" remake, it looks like you have 2 main options when zombies attack :
You are totally right, and the big cat will be quickly upgraded. I just want to build the Big Cat as it could be in reality, first a good old dozer and next, a fully armed zombie-killer.

By the way, the project is in a good way. I did the cab. But i had problem to append an human model to show the size. I'm working on it.

Attachments

i guess i was lucky i have buddies in the army worlking as engineers, i was able to grab the alreaady armored model. d11 is an awesome dozer . just dont cross any bridges its wieght would probaly collapse most bridges lol.i was thinking on doing the large komatsu but decided to go with a smaller but still devasting d9 . your model looks cool so far would be awesome to see the two side by side mowing down zombies lol. be all out devastion.cant wait to see how you arm it. i have alittle something special for the rear of the d9 for any stragglers lo

I strongly hesitate to make the armored IDF model. Finally, I stayed stuck with a civil one, having more resources, and looking for a customized touch. I also have a little something special for the rear of my D11, coming soon. Something with lots of little teeth LOL.

tom120934

Administrator
I agree with crazy 989, the render is pretty low resolution. You should use at least 1024x768 for future posts, if you can deal with the render time. That will be easier to make comments on your work.

Anyways, the render looks good for sure. You've a really sweet model so far. Keep it up !

only issue i see is with a 25ft wide blade you very limited to where you can go and secondly with a top speed of 12 km/hr you gonna have zombies climbing all over your dozer thats why i went for a armored , perhaps if your gonna make that cage closed you will have some better protection but the big dozers arent fast and pretty easy to catch on foot funny thing is they actually go faster in reverse than forward lol. i guess we need to turn the seat around and drive in reverse lol,

Thanks for your comments. TO all of you.

Sorry for the render with strange positions, i'm still looking for the best angle and for a scene.

only issue i see is with a 25ft wide blade you very limited to where you can go and secondly with a top speed of 12 km/hr you gonna have zombies climbing all over your dozer thats why i went for a armored , perhaps if your gonna make that cage closed you will have some better protection but the big dozers arent fast and pretty easy to catch on foot funny thing is they actually go faster in reverse than forward lol. i guess we need to turn the seat around and drive in reverse lol,
Yeeeesssss. I saw that during the modelling. If you deal with Romero zombies, well, you have plenty of time to kill them, even with a slow bulldozer. But if you are in Planet Terror or 28 Days Later, or Dawn of the dead, your are in deep...

So, i'm adding guns to the Big cat. Two six-barrels minigun with missiles, remotely controlled or A.I. controlled with four 360° cameras, and a flamethrower. Three projectors for night operations. Perhaps a 40 mm grenade launcher, or two. :grin:.

yea im designing for a worst case scene, one advangate to the armored its its air tight as well. i have the two miniguns, and a 50 cal m2 browning. the front weapon should easily eliminate them few that get in it path. your rear weapon looks wicked them trenchers are mean. does it also swivel side to side or is it in a fixed position. i think im gonna toss a remote operated 360 swivel mk 19 on the roof for added firepower. im trying to avoid flame throwers. the dozer looks cool im still adding details to mine that takes forever lol.

your rear weapon looks wicked them trenchers are mean. does it also swivel side to side or is it in a fixed position. i think im gonna toss a remote operated 360 swivel mk 19 on the roof for added firepower. im trying to avoid flame throwers. the dozer looks cool im still adding details to mine that takes forever lol.
No, the rock saw is only designed to go up and down, just like the ripper. I guess that the dozer can turn left and right quickly to do the job of crushing zombies in these directions.

Details takes forever, and textures and materials too :), good kuck ;)
By the way, your cal.50 and miniguns are really good.

(i thought one second to use au GAU-8 avenger from A10 thunderbolt II, but it was really too big)

that a monster mini lol its quite large and the ammo canister is huge lol.i went with the smaller 7.62 mm version still more than enough to rip a zombie apart. i designed the front weapon to guarentee they get their skulls crushed assuring they dead after all only way to kill a zombie is to destroy the brain. the rear weapon isnt as impressive as yours but will deal the zombies a fatal blow lol. im typically a low to mid poly modellor this is my first attempt at high poly im used to a 8000 poly limit for a tank lol.im well over that now lol the mg and minis are 4500 poly and change each.